Senate invasion: NASS joint C’ttee summons Omo-Agege, Ndume

Date:

By Ikechukwu Okaforadi and Musa Adamu

The National Assembly joint Committee investigating the invasion of the Senate chambers by alleged political thugs who took away the mace, has summoned the senator representing Borno South (APC), Ali Ndume, and the senator representing Delta Central (APC), Ovie Omo-Agege, to appear before it today to explain their respective role in facilitating the snatching of the senate mace.
In separate letters of summon sent to them, Ndume and Omo-Agege were invited to appear today before the joint committee to answer questions on allegations of aiding the invaders who stormed the chamber and snatched the Senate mace.
The chairman of the committee who is also the Deputy Majority Leader of the Senate, Senator Bala Ibn Na’Allah (APC Kebbi South), issued the summon at the committee meeting in Abuja yesterday.
Recall that there was a testimony last Thursday by heads of different security agencies working in the National Assembly alleging that Omo-Agege led seven unauthorized persons into the red chamber and disrupted plenary and carted away the mace.
It was also alleged by one of the security agents that Senator Ndume prevented Sergeant at arms who keeps the Mace, from taking it away to safety.
The letter to Ndume reads “Based on the testimony of the sergeant at arms before the committee, you (Mr Ndume) is alleged to have prevented the mace keeper from taking away the mace to safety.
“The committee has, therefore, deemed it necessary to invite you in order to respond to that allegation”
Also, the letter of summon to Omo-Agege reads “based on the testimony of the National Assembly Divisional Police Officer (DPO), the DSS and the Sergeant at Arms, you are alleged to have entered the National Assembly accompanied by seven persons who allegedly took the mace of the Senate during plenary session on April 18, at about 11:30 a.m.
“All those who testified, stated that the said people were cleared into the chamber based on your confirmation that they were with you.
“The committee, in pursuance of this, has deemed it necessary to formally invite you to respond to these allegations on Wednesday, May 16 at 11:00am,”.
The National Assembly Divisional Police Officer, Sulu-Gambari Abdul, had accused the senators of conspiring with thugs who invaded the Senate chamber and took away the mace last month, saying that security is a two way business.
He said the Senate invasion was an act of internal conspiracy among some security agencies and some lawmakers, who threatened their staff with transfer.

READ MORE  Akwa Ibom Governor, Eno appeals to defected PDP members to return

Never miss a moment! Get the stories shaping Nigeria, delivered straight to your phone. Follow Peoplesdaily Newspaper on WhatsApp for breaking news, exclusive reports, and the headlines everyone will be talking about, before anyone else.

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

Share post:

Subscribe

TODAY'S e-PUBLICATION

Popular

More like this
Related

Sokoto boat accident: At least 40 bodies recovered

By Reuters Bodies of victims of a boat accident lie in...

Emulate Aliyu’s Development Initiatives, Bagudu Tasks Governors

From Bashir Rabe Mani in Sokoto The Minister of Budget...

Zulum Hosts 4th UN Meeting, Seeks Stronger Investment in Borno’s Recovery

  Borno State Governor, Professor Babagana Umara Zulum, has called...

Gov. Kefas Seeks Stronger Church-Government Partnership to Tackle Societal Vices

By Godwin Agia, Jalingo Taraba State Governor, Dr. Agbu Kefas,...