Iran closes Strait of Hormuz, blames US for violating agreement

Date:

Iran says it has closed the Strait of Hormuz again, citing a continued presence of United States forces in the region and Israel’s refusal to pull forces out of southern Lebanon.

According to a New York Post report, the Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps (IRGC) announced the decision in a statement read over maritime radio channels on Friday.

The IRGC said the US was in violation of the memorandum of understanding between Washington and Tehran, which President Donald Trump and Iranian President Masoud Pezeshkian signed Wednesday.

“Since Israel’s withdrawal from Lebanon, the complete lifting of the naval blockade, and the withdrawal of American terrorist forces from the Persian Gulf and the region are among the main conditions of the agreement between Iran and the United States, the Strait of Hormuz will remain closed until these conditions are met,” the IRGC said.

READ MORE  Reps to probe illegal charges, deductions by commercial banks

“All ships are requested, for the sake of their security and safety, not to approach the Strait of Hormuz. Any vessel that defies this directive will be targeted.”

In a separate statement, the IRGC-affiliated Tasnim news agency said until Israel halts its actions and fully withdraws from Lebanon, the Strait of Hormuz must remain closed, and all future negotiations must be canceled.

“The continuation of Israeli crimes and the occupation of Lebanese land signify the death of the agreement, and this must not be tolerated or overlooked,” the Tasnim statement reads.

Earlier, Switzerland announced that planned talks following up on the deal to end the Middle East war had been postponed.

READ MORE  court adjourns CAJAAH's suit against residents Orozo mass estate till February 28

The signing of the accord this week was intended to end the conflict in Iran, reopen the Strait of Hormuz and begin a 60-day period for talks on wider issues, including Tehran’s nuclear programme.

At the same time, the deal was to halt the fighting in Lebanon, but Israel’s military announced on Friday new strikes against Hezbollah targets in the nation’s south.

Under the new agreement, Iran would also receive a reconstruction package worth $300 billion from the US.

Meanwhile, in a Truth Social post Trump said the war diminished Iran.

He said the US did not meet Iran out of desperation, insisting that Tehran was “finished” in the ongoing standoff between both countries.

READ MORE  FG pushes fleet renewal, deepens aircraft partnership with bombardier

Trump added that Washington would allow the 60-day negotiation period to run its course and ruled out any financial concessions to Iran, saying the US would not provide “ten cents” in funding.

Never miss a moment! Get the stories shaping Nigeria, delivered straight to your phone. Follow Peoplesdaily Newspaper on WhatsApp for breaking news, exclusive reports, and the headlines everyone will be talking about, before anyone else.

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

Share post:

Subscribe

Popular

More like this
Related

Obi challenges Tinubu, other rivals to defend records before Nigerians

Peter Obi has challenged all presidential candidates to defend...

‘I won, I beat you’, Davido, Wike clash in light-hearted exchange over Osun election

Afrobeats singer David Adeleke, popularly known as Davido,...

Dr. Halima Yalwa Adamu: A Diamond of Service, A Legacy of Firsts

Dr. Halima Yalwa Adamu: A Diamond of Service, A...

BREAKING: Nigeria Police Launch N8million Fundraiser For MOPOL Officer Hospitalised After On-Duty Accident

Assistant Superintendent of Police (ASP) Oyadele John, an officer...