NSA vows sustained crackdown on terrorists, hands over 128 rescued Zamfara victims

Date:

National Security Adviser (NSA), Mallam Nuhu Ribadu, on Tuesday vowed that the Federal Government would sustain its onslaught against terrorists and kidnappers until they were completely defeated.

Ribadu gave the assurance in Abuja while handing over 128 victims rescued from kidnappers in Kaura Namoda Local Government Area of Zamfara.

”There will be no respite in our operations. There will be no safe haven for those who terrorise our citizens. We will hunt, find, and bring them to justice,” he said.

The NSA described the latest rescue as “a victory for the Nigerian people and a crushing blow to the networks of terror that sought to undermine peace in the country.

He commended the Armed Forces, Police, intelligence agencies and other operatives, saying: “Your commitment is a testament to our renewed national security strategy.”

READ MORE  Insecurity: Reps summon service chiefs, finance minister

Ribadu also cautioned against politicising the plight of victims, saying the pain of victims should never be turned into a tool for partisan gain.

He called on religious and political leaders, civil society and community influencers to rise above division and work together in the spirit of unity and compassion.

Earlier, the National Coordinator, National Counter Terrorism Centre (NCTC), Maj.-Gen. Adamu Laka, said the victims were rescued in two batches after coordinated security operations.

He explained that the first batch, rescued on Aug. 14, comprised 42 individuals; 40 males, seven females and a toddler, while the second batch, rescued on Aug. 19, comprised of 34 males and 54 females.

READ MORE  Cleric bemoans high rate of insecurity, urges stiffer measures

“Unfortunately, among the second batch, we lost one of the children due to illness and the fatigue he suffered while in the kidnappers’ camp,” he said.

Laka added that one of the rescued women gave birth prematurely, with the child currently in an incubator at a medical facility.

He said all the victims had been under the care of the ONSA for medical treatment, psychological support and rehabilitation before the formal handover.

The Minister of State for Humanitarian Affairs and Poverty Reduction, Tanko Sununu, commended the efforts of the government and security agencies in rescuing the victims.

Sununu however, advised the freed victims to see their freedom as opportunity to strive for their future, urging them to embrace education.

READ MORE  Bauchi govt moves to end illegal dumping of refuse in streets

He reminded them that those that rescued them were able to do so because of the level of education they had acquired.

One of the victims, Abdullahi Salisu, said that some of them were in captivity for 42 days while some spent longer time.

He said they were kept without food until their rescue and thanked God almighty and the government for their rescue.

Never miss a moment! Get the stories shaping Nigeria, delivered straight to your phone. Follow Peoplesdaily Newspaper on WhatsApp for breaking news, exclusive reports, and the headlines everyone will be talking about, before anyone else.

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

Share post:

Subscribe

Popular

More like this
Related

We’re saving future of Nigerians, not foolish, Ogun NDLEA Commander replies Sowore

The Ogun State Commander of the National Drugs Law...

Tinubu Orders National Threat Assessment, Strategic Defence Plan 

President Bola Ahmed Tinubu has approved the immediate preparation...

MAN Urges Kano Govt to Fast-Track Electricity Reform, Tax Harmonisation

By Augustine Aminu The Manufacturers Association of Nigeria (MAN),...

States Well Funded Under Tinubu, Says Gov. Aliyu

From Bashir Rabe Mani in Sokoto Sokoto State Governor, Ahmed...