Shekau threatens to attack Cameroon in new video

Date:

Abubakar-Shekau-New-Boko HaramFrom Edwin Olofu with agency report

Boko Haram leader Abubakar Shekau has threatened to attack Cameroon in a video message on YouTube, warning that the same fate would befall the country as neighbouring Nigeria.

The video, which was posted on January 5, is directly addressed to Cameroon’s President Paul Biya after repeated fighting between militants and troops in the country’s far north.

“Oh Paul Biya, if you don’t stop this, your evil plot, you will taste what has befallen Nigeria… Your troops cannot do anything to us,” Shekau said in Arabic.

It is first time Shekau has directly addressed Cameroon and is also the first admission that Boko Haram has been actively operating in the country.

READ MORE  FG approves dualisation of Akwanga-Jos-Bauchi-Gombe road

Boko Haram fighters had in the past launched attacks on northeastern Nigeria from bases in Cameroon but recent months have seen an increase in strikes within the country.

Boko Haram, which began its violent insurgency in 2009, has taken over swathes of territory in three northeastern Nigerian states, and declared some towns as part of its Islamic caliphate.

Cameroon’s far north has come increasingly into the group’s firing line and on December 28, Yaounde deployed fighter jets against Boko Haram for the first time.

Biya personally ordered the air strike after the insurgents crossed the border and seized a military camp, the government said on December 29.

READ MORE  APC to work for acceptable guber candidate in Akwa Ibom – Akpanudoedehe

The aerial bombardment, hailed as a new phase in the counter-insurgency, forced the Islamists to flee, it added.

Cameroon’s president has made a series of strong statements against Boko Haram and in October last year vowed to go after the group “until it’s totally wiped out”.

In May last year, he said that a Paris meeting of Nigeria’s neighbours was designed to “declare war on Boko Haram”.

But a key agreement at the summit to set up a regional force has yet to be implemented, with Cameroon increasingly vocal in its criticisms about the lack of a coordinated response to Boko Haram.

 

Never miss a moment! Get the stories shaping Nigeria, delivered straight to your phone. Follow Peoplesdaily Newspaper on WhatsApp for breaking news, exclusive reports, and the headlines everyone will be talking about, before anyone else.

READ MORE  3 butchers docked for fighting in public place, constituting nuisance

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

Share post:

Subscribe

Popular

More like this
Related

Adebayo Celebrates Babangida at 85, Hails His Service to Nigeria

Presidential candidate of the Social Democratic Party (SDP), Prince...

Osun guber: The electorates have taught Nigerians political lesson – SDP Chairman

By Jude Opara The National Chairman of the Social Democratic...

CSO Urges Taraba Govt to Fix Gaps in Malaria and HIV Services

By Godwin Agia, Jalingo Civil society groups in Taraba are...

FCTA reviews 1979 Abuja Master plan to tackle flash floods, urban expansion

By Stanley Onyekwere The Federal Capital Territory Administration (FCTA)...